It’s the same thing every year: the sun starts to make an apparition, the weather gets warmer and going to the gym seems more and more unappealing. That said, as we approach the final month of spring, this also means that bikini season is around the corner. So, this is a perfect time to up your fitness routine, in order to get in shape for your approaching beach holiday (or strut with confidence, whatever your plans are this summer). Luckily, taking your workouts outside is a good way of compromising, allowing you to both make the most of the warmer weather, while not losing sight of your fitness goals. Here are 5 outdoor workout ideas to get you started.
The Cardio Meltdown
What you’ll need: A yoga mat or towel, a stopwatch and a healthy dose of willpower!
The Drill: Head to a park or another green space, and pick a spot with a nice view to get motivated. Stand at one end of your mat and start your stopwatch. Prepare to sweat!
- Long Jumps: Jump from one end of your mat to the other. Repeat 10 times.
- Push-ups: Do 10 kneeling or full push-ups (depending on your preference).
- Squats: Stand with your feet apart, wider than your hips, and your toes slightly turned out. Sit back into squat and then stand up tall again. Repeat 15 times.
- Bicycle Crunches: Lie on your back and bend your knees into your chest; clasp your hands behind your head; find a focal point to your left and your right to concentrate on as you crunch to each side, reaching your left elbow to your right knee and vice versa. Repeat 20 times.
- Moving Planks: Get in a plank position and drive your knees into your chest, alternating between knees. Make sure to keep your hips flat and parallel to the ground! Repeat 20 times.
- Burpees: Jump up and then squat down, placing your hands on your mat and getting into a plank position. Move your feet back towards your hands and jump back into a standing position. Repeat 15 times.
This can be a particularly hard workout, so feel free to take regular breaks of 3-5 minutes, especially if this is your first time trying this exercise. Make sure you keep an eye on your stopwatch to continue beating your personal records, and don’t forget to always bring a water bottle!
The CrossFit Workout
What you’ll need: No fitness equipment is needed for this one! Just bring a mat or a towel.
The Drill: This workout is split into two cycles. The second one is much more intense, so please only try it, if you’re an experienced CrossFit enthusiast!
- Cycle 1 (5 rounds): 5 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 15 squats
- Cycle 2 (5 rounds): 10 burpees, 20 bench jumps, 30 push-ups, 40 squats, 50 lunges
Discover more beach body workouts on our #ReadyForTheBeach page.
Phew, this is tiring…what are the actual benefits of exercising outdoors?
It doesn’t come as a surprise that taking your workout routine outside the stuffy gym comes with more health benefits. That said, after two rounds of the CrossFit workout, you might be wondering why you’re sweating up a storm in a corner of the park. Here are a few benefits of outdoor workouts to keep you motivated:
- Exercising in a park, forest or other green space will provide you with cleaner air, so you can breathe better.
- You get to admire a beautiful view (and even discretely people watch) as you work up a sweat.
- Exercising outdoors can help reduce stress, tension and depression. It has been found to improve mental wellbeing by inducing higher levels of satisfaction, positive engagement and tranquillity.
- It doesn’t cost anything, and you can bring your friends along with you for free anytime!
Open Air Yoga
If you’re a yoga-enthusiast, or are simply looking for a low-intensity fitness routine to get toned for your holiday, then you’re going to love open air yoga. There are several yoga festivals popping up in the UK and across Europe, this summer. So, you can satisfy your yoga passion as well as your wanderlust!
Here are a couple of UK-based festivals we’ll be attending to get you inspired:
- The Lost Village Festival (May 27-29), Lincoln: It’s definitely worth visiting the Yoga Tribe in The Lake of Tranquillity, where we will be offering workshops with a number of esteemed teachers.
- Celebrating International Yoga Day at St. Luke’s Hospice (June 26), Harrow: Get ready for 108 sun salutations – Namaste!
What are the true benefits of yoga? Find out why our co-founder, Kate Hudson, can’t get enough of it here.
The Mini Iron(woman)
The Drill: If you’re looking to really up your workout, put a day aside for a mini triathlon. You can even team up with your partner, friend or whoever you feel comfortable with, so that you have someone to race against. Start by swimming laps in an outdoor pool for about 20 minutes, then grab your bike and cycle for another 30 minutes. Finally, slip into your running trousers, and end your race with 30 minutes of running, alternating between short sprints and light jogs.
Working towards a real triathlon? Discover our urban running guide on how to get ready for a marathon in 3 months for helpful tips!
What you’ll need: A comfortable outfit, a towel and a clear mind.
Who said you have to sweat to get fit? Stress is the biggest barrier when trying to get in shape. It encourages us to fall back into unhealthy eating habits and can actually prevent weight loss. So, part of getting in shape for the summer is also finding the time to rid your mind of all worries and re-energise.
Here are a couple of retreats we’ll be attending, which can help you get into a tranquil state of mind:
- The Tula Goddess Retreat (June 16-19), Somerset: Indulge in a natural environment with yoga and meditation workshops as well as a luxurious cacao ceremony (Yumm!)
- Obonjan (July 18-September 10), Croatia: Get lost on a gorgeous island, where you will be able to benefit from a two-month long programme of music, talks, art and health workshops.
We hope these five workouts will help you feel like the best version of yourself, this summer! Remember that you don’t need to overdo it. Going for regular walks, cycling tours and even paddle boarding with friends all add up. So, what are you waiting for, go catch the sun – your body will thank you!