Are you struggling to beat your constant sugar cravings? Recent studies have linked excess sugar intake to high cholesterol levels, type 2 diabetes, obesity and other important health issues. Yet, despite this, sugary treats remain our number one go-to, when we’re looking for an energy boost (or simply something to munch on). So, listen up, sugar addicts! It’s time to take a stand against sugar! Here’s a list of tips and 3 delicious sugar-free snack recipes to help you kick the habit.
Apricot, Almond and Vanilla Snack Bars
We know what you’re thinking. Rather than slaving away in the kitchen, why not simply pick up a healthy fruit/cereal bar from the shop? To be honest, we were thinking that as well, until we learned that our favourite bars are actually packed full of sugar. So, we started confectioning our own and were surprised by how delicious they are!
- 172.5g of almonds
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 8 dried apricots
- 1 vanilla bean
- 10 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp of dried, unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp of almond butter
- Line the bottom of a square baking dish with wax paper.
- Place the almonds, salt and apricots in a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla, dates, coconut and almond butter. Continue to process until the mixture sticks together.
- Press the mixture into the baking dish and allow the bars to firm up in the fridge for approximately 1 hour.
- Cut the mixture into about 12 bars and wrap them in wax paper. Preserve them in the fridge, until you’re ready to eat them. Enjoy!
Our Tip: For a smarter way to snack, always combine fruit with protein, such as a handful of strawberries with Greek yogurt. You’ll feel fuller longer!
Going green? Check out our top 3 green smoothie recipes for a healthier start to your day.
Going sugar free can be tough! Treat yourself to a new outfit from our new collection to keep yourself motivated!
Granola is our all-time breakfast favourite! Yet, horror – when we read what they put in our cereal boxes, it’s hard to imagine how it can be advertised as being healthy! The below recipe is a cross between granola and muesli, without the added sugar.
- 100g of sunflower seeds
- 100g of pumpkin seeds
- 100g of sliced almonds
- 100g raisins
- 50g of flax seeds
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- 140g of oats
- 225ml of melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Place the nuts and seeds in a pan and toast until light brown (approx. 15 minutes). During this time, melt the coconut oil.
- Pour the nuts and seeds into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cocount oil, raisins and spices to the bowl. Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Place the granola mix in the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Don’t let the raisins get puffy! Otherwise, they’ll be hard, once they’ve cooled down.
- Let the granola cool down and store it in an air-tight container. Enjoy!
Our Tip: Opt for unsweetened almond milk or plain Greek yogurt to accompany your granola. Not sweet enough for you? Drizzle a spoonful of honey on top for a healthier alternative to sugar.
Banana, Peanut Butter and Yogurt Ice Lollies
Spring is around the corner. You know what that means? It’s almost time to start eating ice cream again! With this yummy low-sugar and low-fat recipe, you’ll be able to indulge your craving.
- Ice lolly moulds (approx. 10)
- 5 large bananas, roughly chopped
- 150ml of organic peanut butter (without added sugar or oil)
- 281.25ml of fat-free Greek yogurt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Fill the ice lolly moulds with the mixture.
- Stick an ice lolly stick at the top of each mould.
- Freeze until solid. Enjoy!
Our Tip: Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! The best way to cut down on sugar is to make sure your body is getting the hyration it needs. Our Tritan Water Bottle is perfect for carrying your hydration around in style.
Want more delicious, healthy recipes? Download the Fabletics cookbook now!
Ready for a challenge? Lower your sugar intake and start teaching your body healthy eating habits with our #Fabletics21 Challenge!