Is your New Year’s resolution to get in the best shape of your life? Well, you’re not alone! Building a strong core is the key to looking fit and making your workouts more efficient. We’ve put together a list of the top 5 speedy ab workouts, which you can master at home. Ready? Let’s flatten that tum!
Get the abs of your dreams with the Fabletics 21-Day Flat Stomach Challenge. We’ll transform your New Year’s resolution into reality!
Before you start, make sure you have the right gear: opt for moisture-wicking leggings/shorts and a secure sports bra. Stomach exercises work better when you can see your abs contracting! Additional equipment you may need includes a yoga mat, a water bottle, dumbbells and a medicine ball.
Need a new outfit? Rock your winter workouts with our January collection, Let’s Get Physical!
The Stability Ball Crunch
- Grab a medicine ball weighing approximately 3-5 kilos (depending on your fitness level). Lie on a stability ball, facing up with the back of your head pressed into the ball.
- Place your feet together on the floor, positioning the medicine ball against your chest.
- Crunch up until your shoulders are off the ball. Then, lift it toward the ceiling.
- Repeat at least 10 times, until you feel the burn.
Why we love it: It tones chest, abs, hips and glutes.
The Power Plank
- Get into a full plank position with your palms flat on the floor, directly below your shoulders.
- Hold it for 30 seconds. Make sure that your abs are contracted, your head is aligned with your spine and your legs are extended. Tip: Hold this position longer, as your strength improves.
- Up the intensity by pushing your right knee forward, then back, alternating between legs.
- Aim for reps of 20.
Why we love it: It’s an easy-to-do classic, which works your entire core, in addition to your shoulders, chest, back and hips.
Tip: Keep your locks out of your face during more intense exercises with a stylish headband. It’ll save you some frustration!
The Waist Whittler
- Sit on a mat or a towel, with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Lean back and rest on your elbows.
- Round your lower back into the floor, contract your abdominals and curl your torso up toward the left, lifting your arms, so that both of your hands grab your left thigh.
- Maintain this curled position for a few seconds, before releasing your hands, so that they hover on the outside of the thigh, and do 20 pulses. For each pulse, curl your torso up toward the left by approximately 1 inch and then lower it back. Need more of a challenge? Raise your arms above your head during each pulse.
- Do 3 sets on each side.
Why we love it: It’s a triple threat, working the bum, abs and obliques for a slimmer-looking waist!
Craving more? Check out our #FIIT video below for more waist-whittling exercises!
Tip: If you’re going for an ab blast (i.e. combining multiple ab workouts), start and finish off your routine with 30 seconds of jump rope for a cardio boost.
- Lie on your mat with your knees and hips bent at 90 degrees, facing upwards with your hands by your side.
- Lift your head, shoulders and upper back off of the floor, extending your arms out in front of you.
- Contract your abs and pulse your arms (make sure the rest of your body remains completely still). Keep your breathing steady: inhale for 10 counts, exhale for another 10 counts.
- Do 100 arm pulses.
Why we love it: You’ll definitely feel the burn, but there’s nothing better to strengthen your core and inner thighs.
Arm Pull Over Straight-Leg Crunch
- Grab a pair of 5kg dumbbells, and lie flat on your back with your arms behind you.
- Extend your legs at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Lift your arms up over your chest and your shoulders off of the mat, simultaneously raising your legs, so that they are perpendicular to the floor.
- Return to your start position without allowing your legs to touch the floor!
- Aim for 20 reps.
Why we love it: In addition to working your abs, it will work your upper back and hips.
Ready, set, CRUNCH!